Sunday, October 08, 2006

It's Official...I'm Going to Die, but I Have a Plan


Well, eventually I’m going to die. But, after a recent visit to my doctor’s office, I have decided to slow down my imminent death.
Dr. “Smart” gave me the full work up (excluding the prostate exam, phew!) and reviewed the findings with me. I have high cholesterol, high blood sugar, some weird disease involving excess bilirubin in my blood, and I am overweight. Granted, most Americans have the same prognosis. But I have decided to do something about it.
In June, the family and I took a trip down to San Diego. While there I volunteered to help out in the San Diego Marathon. I was fascinated by all the people who finished who were ordinary people like me. They were people who wanted to accomplish something in their lives and they put their minds and bodies to that end. I was amazed. I mean, running 1 mile was difficult for me in high school, how in the hell do these people finish over 26 miles!?!?
After seeing their accomplishments, hearing my doctor, and getting encouragement from friends and family, I have decided to run the L.A. Marathon on March 4th.

Wow! Now that I have written that and posted it, it is official. No turning back! I will use this blog to keep you posted as I train for this event. Kyle Smart and I will be training together over the next 5 months. (Always good to train with a doctor! Of course, I’m not sure what he gets in the deal other than a grumpy, sarcastic patient, but now that I have his name in here, he can’t re-neg.) Below are my vital statistics before I start training. When I am finished with the race, I have another appointment to see if better diet and more exercise will have increased my rate of survival. I would appreciate your support and prayers as I embark on this journey.
Vitals:
Total Cholesterol – 257 H (normal: < 200)
Bad Choleserol (LDL) – 186 H (normal < 130)
Glucose – 106 H (normal 65-99)
Height – 6’ 2”
Weight – 217 lbs.
My goal is to get my cholesterol and glucose within the normal range and drop my weight 27 pounds. I was around 190 for a while, but slowly let the weight creep back up after I injured my knee.
I will keep you all posted as to my progression and how you can help. (Yes, I will be soliciting donations, so start thinking of your excuses now!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill,

I read your blog and Derek's on the same day--inspiration knows no time zone, apparently! I have a friend who completed the LA marathon about 5 years ago for many of the same reasons. I was so proud of her for the undertaking and she still considers it one of the greatest accomplishments of her life. Congratulations on starting strong!

Bill said...

thanks for the well wishing!
I know what you mean Derek. What am i thinking? I ran 2.5 miles this morning and thought I was going to die. A marathon is only 10 times longer...no problem!