Sunday, October 29, 2006

Do You Want a Bloody Mary? No Thanks!

One of the great things about training with Team in Training is the fact that they not only help me with my training, but they provide clinics. There will be a clothing clinic, a hydration clinic, and others. Yesterday, I went to a shoe clinic. I learned all about pronation. Depending on how your foot lands when you run determines what type of shoe to wear for the marathon. I actually tried on at least 8 different pairs of shoes before I found the perfect fit for my “slightly over pronated gait.” I also learned that your shoe size should be a little big because your feet will swell on your longer runs. I usually wear a size 13 (don’t act like you’re not impressed), but saw that a size 14 fit me better for my run. However, different shoe companies shoes fit differently. A size 14 in a Brooks shoe was the exact same fit as a size 13 Asics. I just don’t want to lose more than 4 toenails during the marathon.
We also learned about clothing. I got to hear all about choosing the right bra because most of my team is women. Then the lady giving the clinic started talking about “bloody marys.” My interest peaked because I’ve always enjoyed a spicy, well-made bloody mary. She wasn’t talking about V8 and Grey Goose, however. Apparently, during the course of running longer miles your shirt rubs against your body. As it moves up and down it chaffs the skin. Specifically, men tend to get bleeding nipples (bloody marys in runners’ speak) during marathons. I knew about blistered feet, sore muscles, even leg rashes and swollen fingers, but bloody freakin’ nipples!?!? What have I signed up for? Not only do I have to run 26 miles, but I also have to watch out for my nipples? I know my legs will be sore, my body will be tired, my heart rate will be up, my breathing intense, but my nipples might bleed?!? Our trainer then told us not to worry, they carry a couple different things to combat bloody marys. No, not duct tape, although I’ve read that some people do that. Running stores carry “Nip Savers” and Body Glide. No kidding. Little rubber things that cover your nipples! Awesome! See, not only are you more informed, but you now have a Christmas gift idea for me! Maybe Santa will put a few Nip Savers in my stocking!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Santa is on the lookout for Nip Savers for sure! Santa hates the thought of bloody marys.

Wis said...

Grey goose, you go for the good stuff.

Yikes, bloody nips. Maybe if you got them pierced beforehand the rings would serve as a nipple to shirt barrior. I think it may be worth it.

This may be TMI for you but seriously with the women and bras to bloody mary lead-in my mind had already skipped to a different track. The clinic could have gone horribly awry for you at that point.