Sunday, July 24, 2011

Me and George


Well, it’s been quite a while since I’ve blogged, but I needed an outlet to process all that I am experiencing. I have received a grant from the Gilder-Lehrman foundation to study the life of George Washington while staying at his Mount Vernon estate. Pretty cool, huh? In fact, I’m writing this from the “quarters” on his estate. It’s not even on the tour map. I figured I’d every night while I’m here as kind of an online journal.

The Gilder-Lehrman foundation has been set up to help foster a love of American history by students by teaching teachers through the use of primary documents. I have had the opportunity this last year to work with several educators in my district and county to broaden my understanding of American history. It has been great!

Part of my learning for this trip was to read from two Pulitzer Prize winning authors, Gordon Wood and Joseph Ellis. In His Excellency, Joseph Ellis covers the life of George Washington and was a great read. In The Radicalism of the American Revolution (which won the Pulitzer Prize), Gordon Wood talks about how radical the Revolution truly was. It wasn’t just a breakaway from Britain to form a new nation. It COMPLETELY changed society, not just government.

The best thing about this trip is the fact that Gordon Wood is our lecturer. A Pulitzer Prize winning, Brown University professor gets to teach me, and about 20 other teachers from around the country, about George Washington. I’m so excited. Tonight at dinner he said, “You all are the teachers. I’m just a professor. I profess things. You teach children. You mold them and make them.” Very humble. Much like George Washington.

No comments: